RASULULLAH (S.A.W.) has said:
“From among my followers, one who protects my forty ahadith*, so that people may benefit from them, Allah will treat him on the Day of Resurrection with those of wisdom and learning”.
*A hadith is a report of the sayings or actions of Rasulullah (S.A.W.) and his ahl ul bayt together with the tradition of its chain of transmission.
1. When he spoke he would smile.
2. He would always sit in a circle with his companions.
3. He used to mend his shoes, patch his clothes, and grind the wheat.
4. His hands were like those of a perfume seller, always with a beautiful fragrance. He used to love perfume.
5. He would always wear his rings on his right hand.
6. He always sat facing qiblah especially when he went to the mosque.
7. When he entered the mosque he would sit at the first available space.
8. He would drink water in sips and not gulp it down all together.
9. He said: “Food that is hot does not have blessings so let it cool”.
10. “Olive oil and vinegar are the food of the Prophets”.
11. He would have dates and raisins for breakfast.
12. There was no fruit more liked by him than pomegranates.
13. “The one who brushes his teeth twice a day has kept alive the sunnah of the Prophets”.
14. “Cleanliness is half of faith”.
15. “Wear the right shoe before the left shoe and take off the left shoe before the right shoe”.
16. “One of the qualities of the Prophets is to know the times of salaa”.
17. When the time of salaa came he would tell Bilal to call out the adhan loudly.
18. He would place a staff in front of him when he prayed.
19. In Salatul Jama’a he would say “Stand in a straight line and do not differ for if you do your hearts will disagree”.
20. Nothing would distract him from the Maghrib salaa when the sun had set.
21. “If you have a pearl in your hands and people call it a peanut it will not cease to be a pearl”.
22. “There are 5 things I will not give up until death – eating with slaves on the ground, riding a donkey without a saddle, milking goats with my hands, wearing coarse clothes and greeting children”.
23. “No honour is nobler than humility and kindness”.
24. “Human beings from Adam to this day are like the teeth of a comb, there is no superiority for an Arab over a non-Arab, nor for one colour over another except with God awareness”.
25. He was always first to greet others.
26. Imam Ali (A.S.) “In the past I had a brother in God. The insignificance of the world in his eyes made him great in my eyes. He was not ruled by his stomach. He used to keep silent most of the time – yet when he spoke he silenced all speakers and quenched the thirst of all questioners. He was more eager to listen than to speak. He was considered weak, yet in an emergency he was a lion of the forest. He would not advance an argument unless it was decisive, and he would not censure anyone for what could be excused until he had heard the excuse. He would say what he would do and not say what he would not do. When two things came to him, he would see which was more emotionally desirable and then do the contrary”.
27. He spoke in short, meaningful sentences and was never heard to interrupt anybody's speech.
28. He never spoke with a sad or frowned face.
29. ”The character of Rasulullah (S.A.W.) was the Qur’an”.
30. The one who recites the Qur’an and the one who listens have an equal share of the reward”.
31. “We forgive those who wrong us and give those who deprive us”.
32. He travelled on Thursdays.
33. When something made him sad he would turn to prayer.
34. He used to recite Istighfar all the time.
35. He used to fast in Rajab and Sha’ban saying they were the months of Allah where all sins would be forgiven.
36. “The weapon of the Prophets is du’a”.
37. “Masajid are the gathering places of the Prophets”.
38. He would not sleep until he had recited one of the Musabbihaat. The suwer of the Qur’an beginning with ‘Sabbaha’.
39. When he congratulated someone he said “Baarakallahu lakum wa baarakallahu alaykum” May Allah bless you and keep you blessed.
40. When he gave condolences he would say: “Ajarakumullahu wa rahimakum” May Allah recompense you and have mercy on you.